Day 17: a little challenge, & lots of rain.Trondheim - Kristiansund

Welcome to real Norwegian weather

Constant rain, wind & fog. Ah, so this is what Norway is really like... I miss the hot Arctic!

Day 17:

Riding day 14 - 140 miles - 2600m ascent
Trondheim to Kristiansund



My route plan had me taking 2 days to go to the next town, Kristiansund. An 80 then a 60miler. But I had an itch, especially after this rest, to try do it all in one. I'll get up early, I thought, & see how I feel...
The homemade 'spa' that the lads made in their Trondheim student house..

Got chatting with the lovely guy I was staying with, instead of packing up/making food for tomorrow...& had to decline an invite to go out. This is a serious cycle trip you know.

It's all in the breakfast 

Started later than intended, but out the door & heading south once again!
Did a diversion around the Trondheim Peninsula, added some miles but nicer than busy roads.

Heavy clouds threatened rain the whole way as I followed a cycle route along the main E39 road. Only 2 hills so far, not so bad.


A few annoying hilly diversions around tunnels

Stocked up on as much quick-to-eat food as possible when i found another shop after 50 miles. With my eye on the big day, I spotted that a limiting factor may be a ferry to the island where Kristiansund sits, at mile 134. 2130 would be my aim.

Wolfing down food as I rode, I arrived at my planned town of Kyrksaeterøra, mile 80, just after 16:00. That's when the heavens let rip...

I could stop here & shelter from the nasty weather...hmm...na!

I calculated I'd just have to do slightly over 10mph for the next 54 miles, without stopping, in the rain & an unknown amount of wind & hills, & I'd get to the ferry! OR i could stay here & actually have some chill time all evening. But well, that would be far too easy.

Right, quick! Supplies needed before I enter a remote area with nothing but rain & a objective to follow.
So this service station doesn't sell water in>0.5L bottles...only large bottles of coke. Nice. Had to buy 4 small bottles at £3 each, yikes!

This is quite awful hah

The objective kept me spurred on. I would be ON time by the minute occasionally, then I'd hit a hill & wind, slowing to snail pace (especially now carrying about 12 bars - thanks Jin- and 7 packets of dinners extra!).

Wee stops were risky, quick, a gap with no cars!

& I am now increasingly skilled at eating ANYthing on a bike, including getting it out whilst riding.

3 of these - large baps with Guacamole & Vegan chorizo kept me fuelled!
 10 miles to go, & about 15min early YES! Starting to feel tired, despite eating like a beast.

FYI: 4 chocolate bars, 4 pieces of fruit, 3 large guac baps, 2 packets of nuts, crackers.
These miles & amount of hill climbing ('ascent'), & mainly carrying all this weight, just rips the calories from your body.

Anyway, enough of food - I MADE IT, AT 21:00! WOO!



134 miles in rain to catch the 21:30 ferry... I did it! 21:00 baby!

Out of water & no ferry amenities, the ferryman kindly filled my bottle.

Only 10km to go to the campsite! At 22:45 I rode in circles trying to find it, when I asked a family for help - they were Palestinians, and spoke no English. Tried to WhatsApp call my arabic-speaking friend (thank you Noor!), but in the end their daughter drove alongside me to show me the way. :)

I know you want shelter too mate, but not in my helmet, sorry!

Set up tent, in the pouring rain, at 2300. Maybe I should be kinder to myself tomorrow...

Total over 14 days riding:
1353 miles
19499m ascent

Thank you for your interest!
Please help support aid in Syria - www.alaina.org.uk - thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swedish Riviera part 2

The Finale : Zagreb to the coast, via the Velebit mountains

'Easy days', the Troll's path, & the beautiful Geirangerfjord